by Hal Lindsey
A book report by America is Babylon
This book was published in 1983. Hal adheres to the doctrine of the Pre-tribulation Rapture. Lindsey also laid out the timeline of events that will happen post Rapture.
Hal defines the Tribulation period as the last 7 years on planet earth prior to Christ Jesus’ second coming. Not all commentators adhere to this definition. Some believe the Great Tribulation is just the last 3.5 years of the 7 years, with the entire 7 years being defined as the 70th week of Daniel.
Timeline of the 70th week of Daniel:
1 week of years=7 years
70 weeks of years=490 years
Hal acknowledges that this prophecy of Daniel is about the Jews and Jerusalem.
Derived from Leviticus 25:1-7; the context of this prophecy is that Israel (the Jewish people) was put in exile for failure to keep 70 sabbatical years (2 Chronicles 36:15-23).
(1.) 538 B.C.-Daniel’s vision (Daniel 9:24-27)
(2.) March 6, 444 B.C.-Xerxes gives decree to rebuild Jewish Temple and Jerusalem (Nehemiah 2:1-8). This date starts Israel’s allotted time-7 years yet to be fulfilled. 7 weeks=49 years+434 years=483 years
(3.) 483 years pass (483 x 360 days=173,880 days).
(4.) March 29, 33 A.D. Messiah (Christ Jesus) appears as Prince on Palm Sunday (Zechariah 9:9/ Luke 19:29-44)
(5.) Cross (death, burial, resurrection)- the Messiah was then cut off
(6.) 70 A.D-Temple is destroyed by Romans
(7.) Current Church Age
(8.) Israel’s final 7 years=Covenant is signed with Antichrist- then 2,520 days until the 2nd Coming of Christ (Daniel 11:36-39). 70th week is 7 years (Revelation chapters 6-19).
(9.) Messiah’s 2nd Coming and commencement of the Millenial Reign
70th week of Daniel (last 7 years)
- When Israel signs a protective treaty with Roman Antichrist-head of 10 European nations (Daniel 9:27)
- There will be a Jewish Temple again in Jerusalem or one built shortly thereafter.
- 3.5 years and then the Roman Antichrist will set up the image of the Abomination of Desolation and declares himself god, breaking the covenant treaty with Israel (Matthew 24:15 /2 Thessalonians 2:3-4/ Revelation 13:14-15)
- This signals the worst half of the tribulation the last 3.5 years (Matthew 24:15-22)
Church is not present during this time period. Because there is a distinction between Jews and Gentiles once again enacted which had been eliminated during the Church age (1 Corinthians 12:13/ Galatians 3:28/ Colossians 3:11/ Romans 10:12
Revelation chapters 6-18 distinguish the 12 tribes of Israel
Events just before the Tribulation (7 years) are:
*Antichrist receives a mortal head wound and will be ‘resurrected’ (it will be a fake resurrection though) and take over 10 nations of the European Union (Revelation 13:3) This must occur before the 7 years in order for him to gain political power from which to sign the treaty with Israel.
*A false prophet (fake Messiah to Israel) will be leader of Israel and make covenant with the Roman Antichrist (Revelation 13:11-17)
*A great apostasy of the Church (2 Thessalonians 2:3)
*At the signing of the Treaty, there will be 2,520 days until 2nd Coming of Christ
*During this 7 years, 144,000 Jews (virgin men) will become Christian and preach the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ (Revelation 7:1-4). This will occur before any harm comes upon the earth, sea, or any vegetations. This conversion is right at the beginning of the 7 years.
*All 12 tribes except the tribe of Dan are sealed and represented (Revelation 7:9-17).
*2 Witnesses show up and preach for 1,260 days, or the first 3.5 years. They will be Moses and Elijah. Lindsey states that it will be these two beause Moses appeared before the Disciples on the Mount of Transfiguation with Christ. Elijah symbolizes Israel and the judgment of the world before Israel’s Tribulation. They will not only preach the Gospel of Christ Jesus as Messiah, but will expose the pseudo-messiah of Israel during this time, which is why they will be killed.
*Enoch will not be a witness because he was raptured, he was not a Jew, he was a Gentile. Elijah was Jewish.
Hal then goes on to describe the timeline of the 7 seals; the first series of judgments:
- First seal= Antichrist revealed- is the beginning of the 7 years and releases the Roman Antichrist (Daniel 8: 23-25/ Revelation 6:1-2).
There will be great fear of war prior to his entrance, and he will usher in peace (Revelation 13:4/ 1Thessalonians 5:3/ Daniel 8:25). The world wants peace so bad, Antichrist will use this to gain total dictatorship power. The world will be given over to his deceptions as a Divine judgment (2 Thessalonians 2:9-12).
In the middle of the Tribulation (3.5 years in), the Antichrist will break the treaty with Israel. (2 Thessalonians 2:4). Christ Jesus told His disciples that any believer in the land of Israel must flee to the mountains (Matthew 24:15-22/ Revelation 12:6, 13-17). Most prophecy scholars believe this place will be Petra in southern Jordan.
2. Second seal= War begins- This will be shortly after the ‘abomination of desolation’ (Revelation 6:4). Up until this point, Antichrist has kept false peace on earth. Now all political alliances are broken.
*First an Arab nation alliance led by Egypt will launch an assault upon Israel (Daniel 11:40) and will probably start over a dispute concerning Jerusalem (Zechariah 12:2,3). He places the great war of Ezekiel 38 & 39 here as well (Gog and Magog War)
*Second, Russia launches with it’s allies an invasion of the Middle East (Ezekiel 38:8-17/ Daniel 11:40,41). The Russian commander will plan to take over Africa as well (Daniel 11: 42,43). At this point the Russians stop as news of Europe and her allies from the ‘north’ mobilize. Russia is also troubled by news of the east. China declares war on Russia and draws her army towards the Middle East (Daniel 11:44/ Revelation 16:12). The Russians return to Israel to make a stand against both China and Europe, it is here that Russia and her allies will be annihilated (Daniel 11:45/ Ezekiel chapters 38 and 39/ Joel 2:20).
During this time frame which probably will last months, the remaining seals will be opened and going on simultaneously as the war above.
3. Third seal= Global econonomic catastrophe- This will be because of the war that has previously broken out in the Middle East halting the oil markets. Economic chaos will set in and food will be scarce (Revelation 6: 6,5).
4. Fourth seal- 1/4 of mankind perishes- This will be the natural repercussions of the war and food scarcity (Revelation 6:7,8).
5. Fifth seal- Massacre of the Saints- The ultimate persecution of believers begins. The Roman Antichrist and the Israeli False Prophet launch a wholesale slaughter of believers (Revelation 13:5-18). They will use the system of economics to expose believers. All those that don’t have the 666 mark on their foreheads or right hands will be killed. Those without that number will not be able to buy, sell or hold a job. To get the number a person has to swear allegiance to the Roman Antichrist. Those that don’t must be labeled as traitors and killed for treason This persecution began in the first half of the Tribulation but now meets full force (Matthew 24:9-13).
6. Sixth seal- Nuclear exchange for first time- Apparently, all warfare up to this point was being fought conventionally. Now, nuclear exchange takes place. The Russians, in desperation, launch the attack (Ezekial 39:6) onto the faraway Gentile lands of China, United States and western Europe.
7. Seventh seal- more judgments- God creates a lull in judgments and gives mankind a chance to repent, however it is ignored. The seventh seal is the actual releasing of the seven trumpet judgments which are more severe than the first six seals.
The Trumpet Judgments- a judgment of thirds
- First trumpet– burning of 1/3 of the earth’s surface. 1/3 of all vegetation (trees, grains, grass). Could be caused by the previous and simultaneous nuclear exchange.
- Second trumpet- a great nuclear naval battle. 1/3 of all ships and seal life destroyed.
- Third trumpet- a poisoning of 1/3 of all the earth’s fresh water. This could be from the fallout. Or a meteor could hit the earth simultaneously. (Revelation 8:10).
- Fourth Trumpet- no light reaches earth. All celestial light is diminished by 1/3. This could be from the fallout cloud and all dust kicked up in the exchange, or the dust from the meteor that crashes in the earth. (Revelation 8:12)
- Fifth Trumpet- This is controversial, however it is a demonic attack. This attack lasts 5 months. Many have speculated that it could be biological or chemical warfare unleashed by the Russians. People will seek death but can’t die (Revelation 9:1-12).
- Sixth Trumpet- This coincides with the prophecy of Daniel 11:44. This is when the Chinese start to move towards the Middle East towards Armageddon. This disconcerts the Russians and they stand their ground in the Valley of Megiddo. This activity around the Euphrates River activates more demonic hordes who were bound there (Revelation 9: 13,14). This army of 200 million wipes out 1/3 of mankind in it’s wake. This in combination of the 1/4 of mankind already killed by the fourth seal, brings the world population down to half (Isaiah 24:6/ Isaiah 13:12,13).
As horrific as this has already been, more terror is unleashed (Revelation 9:20,21).
The history of the Tribulation unfolds chronologically with the three series judgments. The seventh seal actually unleashes the seven trumpet judgments. The seventh trumpet unleashes the seven gold bowl judgments.
7. Seventh Trumpet- Bowl judgments released.
This is near the end of the 70th week (Revelation 11:15). There is another grace delay of events before this judgment. This is where Jesus is seen in heaven taking title to the earth. During this time, Babylon, the great worldwide religious system ruled from Rome, is destroyed by the Antichrist and his ten nation confederacy (Revelation 17:16-18/18:1-24).
There are two ‘reapings’ on earth at this time evangelically. The first is to bring the last group of lost souls to Christ. The second will bring the rest of the unbelieving world into a great war whose vortex is centered near Jerusalem and throughout the Jordan Valley- the battle of Armageddon (Revelation 14:12-20).
Apparently those who would believe in Messiah have done so by now. The choice of the mark will have been previously made (Revelation 14:9-12). No one else will enter the kingdom at this point forward.
The Seven Golden Bowl Judgments
Revelation 15:1-7/ Revelation chapter 16
- First bowl judgment- Brings worldwide cancer epidemic on those who took the 666 mark. This could be the natural aftermath of radiation fallout.
- Second bowl judgment- turns the sea into blood and all living ocean creatures die
- Third bowl judgment- turns all freshwater into blood
- Fourth bowl judgment- Intensifies the sun’s rays to the point of horrible heat waves. This would be a result of the nuclear warfare damaging the ozone layer.
- Fifth bowl judgment- Brings a judgment of thick darkness upon the throne of the Roman dictator.
- Sixth bowl judgment- The 200 million man China coalition army has now reached the Euphrates River which has dried up so they can cross it. They will take advantage of the darkness in Antichrist’s capital. The satanic trinity deceive all nations to show up and take part in Armageddon. At this point, the Russians and their Arab coalition states will have been destroyed by God (Ezekiel 39:1-6/ Daniel 11:45), and the last battle of Armageddon will be between the Western armies and the Chinese eastern army. This battle is in northern Israel in the valley of Meggido.
- Seventh bowl judgment- Greatest earthquake in all history takes place in all cities of the world. All gentile cities that are left at this point are destroyed.
The Second Advent of Christ with his Bride (the Church that was previously raptured before all this takes place) (Matthew 24:27 /Revelation 1:7/ Revelation 19:19) and the armies at Meggido turn their weapons at Christ. (Isaiah 34:2/ Zechariah 14:2,3/ Jeremiah 25:33/ Revelation 19:11-16).
Millennial Reign commences.
Hal Lindsey predicts through the Tribulation how many have died and that all that will be left alive at the second coming of Christ is around 50 million people.
Hal goes on to describe the three prevailing beliefs among Christians in regards to the Rapture and the Tribulation period. The Pre-Tribulation Rapture, the Mid-Tribulation Rapture, and the Post-Tribulation Rapture. He then compares each and why they are insufficient with the Pre-Tribulation belief according to Scripture. After the viewpoints, Lindsey explains what exactly the Rapture is. He then describes dispensationalism (which he adheres to) and it’s importance in Biblical Hermeneutics; Who the Church is and what the Church is.
Hal teaches that chapters 2 and 3 of Revelation are to the Church individually and historically. The Philadelphian Church (Revelation 3:10)
The work of My perseverance = because you have kept the work concerning patient expectation of Me. Or those who patiently wait for His Coming and expect it.
He addresses some of the heresies concerning the origin of the Rapture with Margaret MacDonald, John Darby and Edward Irving.
He gives examples of why the Rapture makes Biblical sense. The believers do not receive God’s wrath. They will be changed or transformed. They will be with Him, where He is. etc.
An easy book to read in regards to End Time timeline and events.
Lindsey, Hal. The Rapture: Truth or Consequences. Bantam Books, 1985.